View My Stats

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Alton Brown, the Serene and Professional Bloggers on the 'Net Would Like to Have a Word With You. Pretty Please?

An open letter

Dear Mr. Brown-

Ok, I understand. Well, let me rephrase that. I think I do. After reading what several unscrupulous and uninformed bloggers have put you through during the last two weeks, (Yes, I am referring to the nefarious Richard Auffrey and his "Alton Brown, I Call You Out" post on "The Passionate Foodie", and all the subsequent responses to it'; the outcry about six weeks ago concerning your endorsement of Diamond Crystal Kosher salt--(ie the article in the NY Times) among other things, and the lambasting (unwarrented and rediculous) that you received about that, I'm pretty sure why you feel your labelling of the blogosphere 'inflammatory and journalistically unprofessional was warrented, and in your mind, as close as anyone can get to gospel truth.
That said, if you are still reading, give me a few minutes of your time. As a blogger, and a relatively new one at that, I feel that I owe you an apology. Not that I would ever indulge in some of the activities that the bloggers you abhor would, but basically because I know that none of those bloggers ever would think of, or consider, apologizing for their words or their actions.

That's the reason for this letter. To tell you that, yes, while many bloggers out there do use this forum to cause controversy, spread rumors, and generally just cause trouble, there are other bloggers out there, and we are more numerous than you think. In the past few weeks, I've have conversations with some of them, including a dear friend of mine, who were very hurt by your blanket negative labelling of ALL bloggers without exception. I could liken your statement to thowing the baby out with the bathwater. I know you had your reasons for saying it, but I'd like you to consider what I'm about to say in our defense.

Blogging, to me, and to my colleagues, is just another form of writing. It's a way of expressing ourselves, our feelings and our passions. It's a way to vent when we feel no one else will listen, or maybe we feel the people we do know are tired of listening to us. It's cheap therapy. It's a way to network, to correspond, to connect with like minded people. Not all of us are fortunate enough to be Bill O' Reilly or Keith Olbermann, or even well, yourself (:)), and have an opportunity to share our ideas on nationwide television.
There is an element of hope in us each time we click 'publish post', as we send our ideas out into cyberspace, hoping that they will be seen by people who can relate, who may be able to help us, and please God, that they will be well received by all. Bottom line, the bloggers that I know just want to be listened to. These are univeral feelings that everyone can relate to, I think.
In closing, I want to thank you for reading this. I know I'm probably tilting at windmills to even think that you might reconsider your feelings, but maybe, when you have a quiet moment, I'd ask you to just think about what I've said here.

I welcome your comments here, realizing fully you don't know me from Adam's off-ox, and that you may not choose to respond, and I also invite my fellow bloggers to weigh in with their opinions.

Oh, and one more thing:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW,(or, today :)). I hope the coming year finds you happy and healthy, surrounded by friends and family, and continuing to do what you love, whatever that may be.
I look forward to seeing you this coming October at the FN Food and Wine Fest!

Take care, and Be well, sir!
Sincerely,
Anne Mikusinski

4 comments:

  1. I think the population of bloggers, like the general population, contains a low percentage of jerks. People who like to accuse, point fingers, and bicker.

    Sadly, these people are so darn annoying and hard to ignore that we overlook the much larger percentage of awesome people who are on the internet doing awesome things. These people are building a community, sharing knowledge, and not trying to bring anyone down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, JC. I wish more people felt that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Mr. Auffrey. You've come to my site, and this post at least three times yesterday. If you have nothing else to contribute, please leave. If you are waiting for me to recind my apology, do NOT hold your breath.

    ReplyDelete