View My Stats

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

It Started with A Tweet

A simple thing I said, expressing my opinion.  I had no idea what would happen after that.  I said it Friday evening.

Before , there was . Sad so many seem to have forgotten that. No one who follows me, but the unwashed masses.
Just an expression of opinion right?  Cue music-
As Scott Bakula says, repeatedly, in Quantum Leap- Oh, boy.

No sooner than I'd tweeted it, well, the deluge-first from Justin Warner(@EatFellowHumans) one of the contestants on Food Network Star, then from all his fans.
OH
MY
GOD

It got worse from there.  I was insulted, harassed, called any number of names, from 'hater' 'unstable' and my VERY PERSONAL favorite- 'stalker'.  It went on all weekend, and sadly, it's still going on.  The saddest thing is that people un-followed me on twitter.  People whom I've seen say MUCH worse things to people they've disliked. People who I considered friends.
  I don't get it.  Well, maybe I do.  When the majority rules, the minority gets its ass kicked.  Forget freedom of speech, and there's a great song about that, but it's loaded with f-bombs and after my '50 Shades' post, I've learned my lesson.  But if you're dying to listen it's by Ice-T(yes, the little white girl listens to rap) and it's called  Quel Suprise, "Freedom of Speech"  you can find it on youtube.   In fact, I think I'll listen to it after I finish this post.
The voicing of an unpopular opinion on social media makes you automatically a target, and I'll confess, this is NOT the first time it's happened to me.   I guess, as I suffer from Anne Frank Syndrome ("Above All, I still believe people are good at heart') I think it might not happen this time.
But it did.   And it may make me a little wary from now on, or---it may not.
And if nothing else, it's a great story.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment