View My Stats

Friday, September 7, 2012

My Excellent Culinary Adventure At Graffiti


Before I proceed, I should inform my readers that I am not, by any means, now, nor have I ever been, a food reviewer, or a restaurant critic. I don't have the skills or the impartiality to effectively rate an establishment.   I'm a writer of poetry and fiction, so this will not be a 'normal' restaurant review, by any means.  
  I like to cook, and I like to eat, and bottom line, I know what I like.  So, with all that said, I want to tell you about my experience at Jehangir Mehta's restaurant Graffiti.
    If you have no idea what I'm talking about, here's a little background.  Back in 2009, I was watching the second season of 'The Next Iron Chef' and I noticed that one of the competitors was a little different than the others.  He had his own idea about how he wanted to compete, he broke rules, and what was even more interesting was he didn't seem to be particularly rattled by either the judges, or the program's host, Alton Brown (and I know first hand, how intimidating Mr. Brown can be).  Seeing all these things put together both impressed and intrigued me, and even after the show had ended, and Jose Garces had defeated Chef Mehta in the final(btw, he was ROBBED) I wanted to know more about him and when I read about Graffiti, I knew I had to go there.
  Shortly after that, life got in the way of those plans, as it often does.  Two weeks ago I made my reservation, and finally that day arrived.
  Before I bore you  my impressions, please watch this video.  I believe Chef Mehta can describe his place FAR better than I ever could. :)

The  first thing that struck me, when I walked in the door was "Yes, is is that small." Still it was small in a good way.  I was greeted warmly by the hostess and immediately ushered to one of the front tables, where two other women were seated.  All the tables here, are communal, whether you are dining solo or with a group.  This was a welcome surprise to me, a woman who regularly dines alone and is therefore regulated to the back table in the farthest corner of the restaurant.  Here, I felt welcomed warmly, and instantly at home in this cozy space.
  Anyone who reads this blog and knows my situation understands I don't go out to eat as often as I'd like to.  My one concern about going to Graffiti, as it is a well known place in NYC, was 'what's it going to cost me?"  When I looked up the menu online, however, I was pleasantly surprised and I'm sure all my readers will be too, check it out!
I had the watermelon salad with mint sorbet and feta cheese, the pickled ginger scallops with the candied red chili, and for dessert, the warm truffle almond strawberries, with the pepper ice cream.
  Everything was wonderful, and artfully presented-it was almost too beautiful to eat.  I have to say the scallops were the best I've had anywhere, and the dessert, well, now I understand why everyone raves about truffles, and that's a problem because now, I'll want them all the time ;P.
   All in all this was a fantastic dining experience.  One thing I definitely want to mention was the quality of the service.  Both the hostess and servers were attentive and willing to explain anything you didn't understand.  They didn't hover though, like some do, and that was a plus.
  I also was lucky enough to meet Chef Mehta, who was extremely warm, and incredibly gracious. He is a truly lovely man.  I plan on returning very soon.
So, in closing, I just want to say, if you want a pleasant, non rushed, dining experience in a place with great ambiance and fantastic food, get to Graffiti as soon as you can.  You won't regret it.   I mean seriously.  Go.
NOW.  
 

9 comments:

  1. This place sounds incredible, just reading this made me want to go there! I'm only 25 minutes outside the city, so I will definitely check it out.

    I've never had truffles either, I'll consider myself warned of their addictive properties :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review from the perspective of a real person. Love it--wish the restaurant was closer to me. Good on you, Anne. Good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious... if I ever go back to NYC, I'll have to go there for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is a great place, and I can't wait to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great place, I can't wait to check it out. The food sounds delicious. Hoping to get down there before Chef Mehta becomes Iron Chef Mehta and we can't get reservations anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great--and you're right, those are really reasonable prices for a NYC restaurant.

    ReplyDelete