View My Stats

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Look! A Post that Actually Sticks to What I Said the Theme of This Blog Is!

This is not a happy post, so you have all been warned.  If you're not interested, or if you don't care to read about the set backs and trials of being a writer, or the drawbacks and struggles of living with depression, then you're welcome to leave now, I'll wait.

Have they gone?  Alright, if there's anyone left, here goes.

Let's start with this, a small sampling of the kind of reaction all my submissions have gotten over the past few years.  Understand, a very small sample--I have at least one hundred more rejections-
DateTitleOrganizationStatus
04/29/2010AbsolutionPalooka - PoetryDeclined
08/19/2012All Saints DayFiction Fix - FictionIn-Progress
07/31/2010CrossroadsThe Associative Press - PoetryDeclined
05/16/2010CrossroadsHayden's Ferry Review - poetryDeclined
06/05
/2012Full HoneymoonLinden Avenue - Flash FictionDeclined
05/29/2012Full HoneymoonFlash Fiction Online - OTHERDeclined
07/15/2012Mikusinski-Poems Crossroads, Part One, and InterludeBlue Lyra Review - PoetryDeclined
06/10/2012PoetryA Few Lines Magazine - PoetryDeclined
05/31/2012PoetryOstrich Review - PoetryDeclined
06/28/2012Poetry SubmissionThe Boiler Journal - PoetryDeclined
06/25/2012Poetry Submission42 Magazine - PoetryDeclined
06/18/2012Poetry SubmissionHyphenate Magazine - PoetryIn-Progress
06/15/2012Poetry SubmissionBurningword Literary Journal - Poetry SubmissionDeclined
06/14/2012Poetry SubmissionCactus Heart Press - PoetryDeclined
10/08/2012Therapy/Travel AgencyParadise Review - PoetryReceived





Depressing, right?  I honestly don't know what these people want anymore.  And no, I don't submit everywhere.  Honeslty, looking for places to submit is work, in and of itself.  I'm not going to submit to a magazine that accepts horror lit, or abstract poetry, or magical realism', whatever that means--and I probably should know what that means.  


  I've been writing all my life, I can't imagine not writing something at least once a week, if not once a day.  Yesterday I wrote that my faith sustains me, but to be honest, it's writing, and thinking of stories, talking about stories and characters with my friends who understand.   Honestly, I think my biggest problem, and what holds me back the most is worrying what other people think.  I've heard so much, 'write for yourself' and that's what I do, for the most part, but the question remains, "If I'm writing for myself, and no one else wants it, how do I get what I want, what I've always wanted, and that is to be published?"  Ugh.  Therein lies the problem, I suppose, but what I need to work on is just being happy that I am writing, will continue to write, and that, published or not, I am, was, and always will be, a writer.   That's the truth.
   As to living with my depression, things have gotten really difficult lately.  Maybe it's my birthday fast approaching, maybe it's the fact that I recently got closure(and not good closure) to my twenty one year relationship, maybe it's the aforementioned rejections.   The medication I hoped would work gave me terrible insomnia and blurry vision that I couldn't tolerate.  I don't know what will help lift the weight this time, but I am headed back for another two week stint in rehab.  That's what helped the most, and I hope that I can do good work on myself as I did before, and I can figure out a better, more profitable plan for myself.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment