View My Stats

Monday, May 14, 2012

My Last Open Letter to Alton Brown

I hope that you will read this with an open mind.  It's not my intention to hurt you in any way.
Dear Mr. Brown-
What I say doesn't come from a place of anger.  Anger is a useless emotion, except of course when it effects  positive change, and to be honest, I'm not angry.  I'm sad, and a bit confused at the fact that when you did tweet me, asking for an answer, and I offered it to you, you blocked me(@jeannys_shooter).  I can't say that I understood why.
  If you've ever read my Twitter feed, you would understand I have been a follower(I hate how that sounds ) since the beginning of Good Eats, in 1999.   I admired your work, your 'culinary point of view' -whatever that is, and your enthusiasm for your subjects.   I also admired your love of teaching.  I can't tell you how much I've learned from that show, the three incarnations of "Feasting On Asphalt" and, of course, "Iron Chef America" .   I want to thank you for all of them.
  Since you've been on twitter though, I see a change in your which, quite frankly would be none of my business except for the fact you put it out there.   You seem to be quick to anger, fast with the snark-or 'snarkliness' as you call it.   You still seem to take great joy in re-tweeting people who say nasty things about you.   I can't help but wonder if that's a way to get a attention, sympathy or a very odd way to display the self-deprecating humour that we have come to expect.   As I've said before all of this would be none of my business if it weren't shown in a public forum.
   That said, it's not the Alton Brown I know, the man I've met on numerous occasions.  The person who told me once, "When we are feeling the worst about ourselves, that's when we have to believe God loves us the most."  It is for these reasons, that's I'm worried about you.   You tweet about drinking.  You tweet about having no fans, how you weren't hugged enough as a child, how you need to lose weight.   You seem to open yourself up for criticism, then lash out when you receive it.   It's confusing, to say the least.
   Why do I care?   At this point I'm not exactly sure, except that in my gut, it seems to be the right thing to do.  For what it's worth, I still admire you, and I probably always will.   In fact, it's almost refreshing to see someone in the public eye be unafraid to honestly present themselves, good and bad.
  In closing, let me just say that whatever I did, however I may have offended you, I'm truly sorry.  It was never my intention to hurt or annoy you.   I wish you good luck in your future ventures.  Be well, sir, and know that you are always in my prayers.
Sincerely
Anne Mikusinski
Email-Walters_furry@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment